Tuesday, August 31, 2010

My Favorite Writing

The Road not Taken.
"...Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference. "

-Robert Frost. Mountain Interval. 1920.

I really enjoy reading and writing poetry, even though it is sometimes hard to identify what the poet is trying to convey, but I love the creation of sensory images, and how it really plays on your emotions.

One of my favorite poets is Robert Frost, an American poet who often wrote about the rural life in the early 20th Century.


In this poem, there are actually two interpretations.

The literal interpretation inspires someone to do something different, to not go with the norm, whereas the more ironic interpretation is talking about decision making and regretting the decisions you have made.

The reason why I like this particular poem is because I can relate to both interpretations.

In my life I have made decisions that have changed my life for the better, and there are certain decisions that I wish I didn't make.

For example, I was driving on 280, and I had to exit 87, but I wasn't sure whether to take south or north.

I made the quick decision to go south, and I soon regretted this decision, because I had to go north.


This is an example of good writing, because critics can take the work either way, but only the author really knows the real meaning behind it.

No comments:

Post a Comment